Gynecomastia, also known as ‘man boobs’ is a clinical condition that is characterized by benign excessive breast development. Typically, 50-60% of men suffer from this condition, where excessive fat or tissues start to develop in the breasts. This condition or gynecomastia mainly happens because of the hormonal imbalances within the body. The imbalance of hormones might occur during puberty, or even during the middle age.
Many boys going through puberty experience gynecomastia; whereas some experience it during adulthood. Well, this condition might not be painful but it affects the self-esteem and confidence of most men. In case, you suffer from this condition, don’t worry, Male breast reduction surgery is to your rescue. This surgery helps you to get a toned and a flat chest.
Male breast reduction is a surgical procedure. A minimally invasive technique is used to reduce the excess fat and tissue from around the chest. However, the type of gynecomastia surgery opted by the surgeon depends on the amount of the fat deposit and the presence of breast tissue.
Male breast reduction is considered as a daycare procedure. The surgery is carried out with general anesthesia.
Gynecomastia is treated as a cosmetic procedure. During the male breast reduction surgery via liposuction, excessive glandular and fatty tissues are removed from the male breast area. For the surgery, a small incision is made under the arms. The incision usually measures 3-4mm. Once the incision is made; a small tube or cannula is inserted to remove the excessive fat from the area. Only a smooth and thin layer is left under the skin to avoid any kind of irregularity around the area.
Another way to treat male breast reduction consists of making a crescent-shaped incision. The incision is made at the base of the areola. Through this cut, excess glandular tissue is removed. This technique focuses on glandular tissue removal instead of fat.
- A complete baseline investigations
- Improved self-esteem
- Get a flatter, contoured, and masculine looking chest
- Chance to wear a wide variety of clothes
- Complete relief from skin irritation and chafing
- It helps to improve posture
- Enhanced comfort
- Easily engage in physical activity
Male breast reduction is a safe procedure. However, just like any other cosmetic surgery, this surgery also carries some minor risks. They are:
- Skin irregularities
- Mild pain
A customized pressure garment is applied to reduce the swelling and redrape the skin.
- Recovery from male breast reduction surgery is very quick
- The downtime is very less. Hence, patients can get back to work after 1 week.
- A degree of swelling and bruising is expected. So you should restrict from strenuous activities for at least six weeks.
- Further swelling and bruising could be reduced by wearing compression garments